Tuesday, April 1, 2008

21 miles under the belt

As my marathon training is ramping up I've had some great weeks, mileage wise. On Sunday I ran my first 20+ miler of the year. It was a nice slow 21.4 miles at a 10:28 pace. This on the heels of a rather fast 11.3 miles at an 8:41 pace on Saturday. I'm a little concerned about my heart rate though. During my Sunday run I experienced some tachycardia. My heart rate shot up to about 180 bpm and stayed there for about 15 minutes or so. This has happened before but never in the middle of a run. A few times over the last couple years when I started my runs on a cold morning I'd have a rapid heart beat. Last year I wore a 24 hour monitor and my doctor could find nothing wrong. I may have to have it checked out more thoroughly. Last thing I need is to drop dead on the course.

No comments: